Open Letter To E-Learning/ Training Pros
So the other day I was conducting a live demo of the eLeaP LMS tool and got a question that made me sit up and take notice. Many of us in the e-learning space throw out buzz words and ‘cool’ phrases which while useful in certain settings, are a total distraction in others.
Terminology like SCORM, LMS, mobile learning, synchronous versus asynchronous, API, Single Signon, Gamification and many others might be make for super geeky conversation among the elites but are totally unhelpful when one is trying to assist a new customer or potential customer navigate the treacherous waters of vendor research, selection and implementation.
So what can be done?
- All of us need to use simple straight-forward descriptors of our goals, needs, features and requirements. Believe me, trying to appear knowledgeable in front of your colleagues by using buzz words which are incorrect only exposes one’s hubris.
- Spell it out. My best demonstrations or phone meetings are conducted when the client sends in a list of questions, requirements, features or just goals. This way we can go step by step covering what is important to that customer. With systems like eLeaP, you can pretty much get everything you need done, but I don’t want to bore you with a detail treatise about the minimum time setup for lessons if that is not something you particularly care about.
- Don’t just tell, show … I like to be able to take a potential customer through a simulation of actual needs and goals. If the idea is to create a training program with different multimedia presentations and which might also involve completing an assessment as well as submitting a feedback form and conclude with a discussion around pertinent issues, then guess what? I will actually try to show the client how all this will come together by doing a live demonstration. We go through questions and answers and if time permits, even letting the client try their hands on a few activities – all from the comfort of their offices.
- Trust the customer to know what do to do after all what is the worst that can happen? ‘Break’ something? Mistakenly delete a file? It can be recovered. My personal philosophy is to have the customers take the system for a test drive. If they have a particular presentation that they want to get uploaded to see how it will work, we go ahead and take care of that – no charge, no questions asked. Why you ask? Because we at eLeaP believe ultimately, we are judged by how well we treat our customers. We believe respecting customers and performing little acts of kindness here and there, well it just might brighten someone’s busy day. Heck they might even come out looking pretty smart to their colleagues for finding and implementing a system like eLeaP.
If you have questions (any question) on business training or e-learning, call us 877-624-7226. We actually like talking to people.
And to my colleagues in the e-learning space, a little humility goes a long way. Let’s remember we are in the learning industry – not the ‘show-off’ industry.
President, Telania | eLeaP | Azimio
Telania | eLeaP, a Louisville KY based Learning Management Systems provider has released the latest version of the hugely popular eLeaP LMS Platform.
While the competition is stuck with antiquated technologies and unwieldy software, eLeaP has just made online training a lot easier with advanced course management tools, smart menus for users and responsive reporting. What this means for you is easy course creation support for multiple content formats, streaming technology to deliver rich media content and interactive tools to encourage formal and informal learning – a sure way to generate excitement for your e-learning and training program.
Why should businesses conduct training? We have two main reasons for business training:
- Government requirements or employment law or compliance required training
- Business skills development or performance development training
Online business training has emerged as the key tool in creating a much more efficient and effective workforce and proves to be the true catalyst in improving business growth. The business training software provided by eLeaP encompasses wide range of features covering every aspect of business training management and is perfect for corporate education and e-learning. In this competitive business environment, the eLeaP business training software would prove to be the perfect solution for all your training worries. Get the eLeaP business training software and reach for new heights of business success.
Employment law or compliance training includes sexual harassment training, OSHA training, Sarbanes Oxley or Bank regulations training etc. The reason to perform these kinds of business or corporate training is pretty straight forward.
Organizations that are faced with this requirement will typically engage professionals to conduct and document training records so that they can be produced in the even of litigation or some other request.
The second most common kind of business training is skills development or performance improvement improvement. This takes the format of new product training, leadership and succession planning and training, sales and marketing training and sometimes academic training. While most organizations commit funds and resources to this type of training, it is also quite easy to cut when times are tough.
In today’s hypercompetitive global marketplace, all organizations regardless of size or sophistication should really take a second look at buttressing the skills and performance training. How do you think successful organizations like Google, Apple, Motorola, Coca Cola etc continue to maintain their market dominance. Its because the place a premium on the quality of their people resource which means cutting edge training and e-learning programs.
The American Society for Training and Development (ASTD) has traditionally recommended a minimum of 40 hours of business training a year for every employee. Business training is not only important for the growth of companies and organizations but also for their employees, customers and students. Employee training leads to growth and development in the careers and upload mobility of employees. Business training also acts as an effective employee retention strategy, as the inability to see any progress and development in their skill sets is one of the major reasons for employee attrition. Business training can be imparted externally, internally and online. Online training is the most inexpensive, easy and effective mode of training. Online business training programs also called learning management programs or learning management systems (LMS) are a powerful and quick way to create online business training and e-learning.